In my last post, I detailed my situation: Trying to set up my blog so when I entered a post, news of the post would automatically be broadcast to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other social media outlets. Here’s exactly how I did it.
To broadcast to multiple social media outlets, the two best services seem to be Ping.FM and Hellotxt. I wish Ping.FM would have worked for me, but I found it increasingly frustrating. Not only did I experience several outages during the two days I messed with this, but it was spotty when working with Twitter and switched back-and-forth between working with my Facebook Page and my Facebook Personal account. Fortunately, Hellotxt works like a charm…if you hook it up right. Here’s how:
1. Open a free account at Hellotxt.com.
2. On the dashboard, click on Networks.
3. Click on Add by Twitter and click Sign In. It’ll hook right up.
4. Click on Add by Facebook and Connect with Facebook, allowing authorization.
5. If you want to broadcast to any Facebook Pages, click on Add by Facebook Pages and Connect with Facebook again, allowing authorization.
6. At this point, you can add any other social media services you want, too.
7. Now here’s a big key: If you want to broadcast to only certain Facebook Pages and NOT your Facebook Personal Account, click on Tag, then Add One.
8. In the box, enter a word—I’ll use “all.” Now checkmark only the services you want to broadcast to. I chose my Facebook Page, my LinkedIn account and my Twitter account. Notice I left off my Personal Facebook account—this is where most people go wrong. Hit Save.
9. Now click on Applications. Find TwitterFeed and click “Enable this application.” See the User key that shows up? Write it down or copy it with CTRL-C on your keyboard. You’ll need that in Part 3..